Monday, October 15, 2007

The hidden iceberg

Going through the pages of 'Flirting with Pete' reminded me of Freud's theory of Psychoanalysis which i thoroughly enjoyed reading while doing my master's...
His ideas of unconcious mind, the Oedipus complex, the Id and the Ego fascinated me and I even believed it to be true to some extent, especially the idea that "2/3rd of our experiences are unconscious while the rest constitutes our conscious mind...
What we are today is the result of our past experiences more importantly the negative experiences which, if suppressed, could indirectly control our conscious actions...
This unconscious mind Freud called an Iceberg''...
As in Flirting with Pete where Casey identifies herself with her client for having an imposter complex; I used to analyze my life events in terms of Freud's theory (later which i felt stupid about)!
Going one step further, sometimes i imagined myself to be having more problems than the kids i worked (ofcourse that's not a comparision to be made)...
That's because, whenever i had terrible mood swings i imagined to be a manic- depressive;
later i was sure that i had only depression;
suffered from sibling rivalry (which i think everybody goes through at some point of time);
being interested in Freud's dream analysis and after expereincing dreams almost everyday (even lucid dreams sometimes) i thought they were all an indirect manifestation of my suppressed experiences!!!
Now i know all that stuff was just tooo much...
Not that Freud's theories were wrong but my imagination was....
Whatever it is Freud's ideas amuses me every time i read more about him....

2 comments:

mouna said...

why don't u post more on freud? i've read very little on him, but he seems interesting. it'll be nice if something more on freud is put up(my suggestion).

well, half of of this post appeared hazy as i don't know freud' explanation oof oedipus complex, the ID, or the Ego :(

shruthihegde said...

Sure will consider your suggestion...
There's lot more about Freud than just Oedipus complex n etc etc...
Thanks for your suggestion...